Monday, February 27, 2023

"The Wrong Jason Brown"

I read a lot of essays. Books of essays from authors I like, the Best American Series every year, and recently the Best of the 20th Century. Read The New Yorker, Esquire, The Believer, Harper's, The Atlantic, Texas Monthly, so forth. I read hundreds of essays a year, minimum. 

“The Wrong Jason Brown” is one of the best.  By a guy named Jason Brown, obviously. He won a Stegner fellowship, the prestigious two-year writing program at Stanford. He is the author of three books of short stories—Driving the Heart and Other Stories, Why the Devil Chose New England for His Work: Stories, and A Faithful But Melancholy Account of Several Barbarities Lately Committed: A Novel in Stories

“The Wrong Jason Brown” stands out as being one of the most memorable things I’ve read. Probably my favorite essay of all time, honestly. It blew my mind. Reminded me of Denis Johnson’s Jesus’ Son

Incredible work. That’s said, if I knew what it was about, I wouldnt have read it. Masterfully done to ease you into this world. Not gonna spoil it. Just gonna encourage you to read it.  

No comments: