Sunday, December 18, 2022

American Psycho - Mary Harron - 2000

★★★★★- Rewatching for the first time in a long time. I tend to really like adaptations of Bret Easton Ellis, but hate his novels. As a dude, he seems horrible. Talking trash about homosexual media, “I like the idea of Glee, but why is it that every time I watch an episode I feel like I’ve stepped into a puddle of HIV?” among many other things, and then coming out as gay to make it okay. 

His fiction is just as toxic with the intent of glorifying America's problems. Plus he called David Foster Wallace, once my favorite writer, "the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation" after DFW hanged himself. He offered no evidence for any of it and came off as professionally jealous. 
So, anyway. I can deal with his whole irredeemable bleak worldview for in two hour chunks, but I'll never read another one of his novels. I think this treatment, though, American Psycho as satire, is exceptional. However, I am not sure many see it as such and come away with the wrong lesson by not seeing it for what it is. 
Bale is great. Really made him a star. But the whole cast is pretty stellar. I don't watch this often and haven't seen it since college, but I'm glad I revisited, which sort of surprised me.

No comments: