Monday, July 3, 2023

The French Connection - William Friedkin - 1971


★★-Love a grimy, New York in the 70s movie, but I found this one to be astronomically overrated. At some point I realized I saw this when I was around 10 years old. Didn't blow me away then, either. Even back then, neo-noir like this was kind of my jam. Didn't appreciate it anymore this time around. Actually less. 

Stars Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider as the detectives trying to get drugs off the street. These are two of the most normal looking movie stars of all time. They look like friends of mine's dads. 

Gist is NYPD detectives Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle and Buddy "Cloudy" Russo pursue the elusive French heroin smuggler Alain Charnier, played by Fernando Rey whom I only recognize from Luis Buñuel's film Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Known as one of the great car chase movies with Hackman chasing a train. It's pretty good, but I feel it's more of a chasing people on foot and then shooting them when they run movie. Anyway, Hackman gives a guy on the street ye old “Police emergency! I need your car.” “How am I going to get it back?” This guy is not going to be happy when he sees the damage after they tow his car to the impound lot for being illegally parked. Probably . Oh, I looked it up. Apparently this cop commandeering a civilian's car in an emergency is legit. This could happen to you. 

Directed by William Friedkin. He did two other films I love, The Exorcist and To Live and Die in L.A. Dig Blue Chips as well. Heavily influenced several movies I hold extremely near and dear, notably Se7en and Munich, two of my all-time faves. David Fincher said that it “had a profound impact” on his life and was why Brad Pitt chose to star in the film. 

Nominated for eight Academy Awards. Won five, for Best Picture, Best Actor (Hackman), Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Regarded as one of the greatest films ever made, made the American Film Institute's 100 Years... 100 Movies list, sitting at No. 93 on the 10th Anniversary Edition. 

I don't really get all the hype. It's perfectly fine, but not the earth-shattering film I've been led to believe. It ends on some real bullshit, too. Basically one long flick glorifying reckless police work which comes to a whole lot of nothing. Was that supposed to be the point?

No comments: