Saturday, June 3, 2023

Cigar Review - CAO Amazon Basin Extra Anejo

End of a shit week needed something to get my mind right. This cigar wasn’t it. Not drinking at present otherwise would’ve had a really special bourbon. But, again, sober at the moment. Indulging in this instead. Smoking a supposed “great” cigar or drinking a great bourbon to celebrate is one thing. I’m more of the indulging is the experience. Sort of learned that from Virginia Madsen’s character in Sideways. 

Anyway, cold draw tasted of cedar. Lighting up was muy disappointing. Honestly, I found it one dimensional. Basic muted creamy roasted coffee. Minimal tastes of raisins, black and white pepper. It’s well-made, otherwise I would’ve put it out. 

This came highly recommended by multiple people at the cigar store. Dudes that know what they’re talking about. The box sold out in like an hour. But I gotta say, don’t buy the hype. I bought this at price point of like $35 a stick. For that price I could’ve got a Winston Churchill Late Hour or a Padron special release. I’m embarrassed to say I bought four. I would pay like $6 if I could name my price. The story behind it is interesting. 

From the website: “Extra Añejo is the same award-winning Amazon Basin blend you know and love, simply aged for the flavors to rest even develop even more. With a blend grown in the most remote regions of the Amazon Rainforest and meticulously aged for an additional two years, Amazon Basin Extra Añejo is an experience worthy of the wait. 

“Amazon Basin Extra Añejo shares the exact origins of the cigar you already know and love. With tobacco grown and harvested on virgin soil in remote regions of the Amazon rainforest, the blend is then taken by canoe up the Amazon river and delivered to our factory. Extra Añejo is allowed to rest for an additional two years, exposing even more complex flavors from the Bragança leaf and the rest of the five-country blend. 

“The result is a smoking experience worthy of the expedition, born of the jungle and brought to your humidor.” 

Marketing bullshit. Smoked one the day of and wasn’t impressed. Maybe it’ll get better with more age? Apparently needs more age than what I’ve given it, but I swear it’s mellowed. Whatever.

No comments: