Friday, July 14, 2023

Infinity Pool - Brandon Cronenberg - 2023


★★★★- Near great film, but afterwards I had to ask myself, why the fuck do I keep watching this disturbing shit? 

Gist is a struggling writer and his wife are on vacation when they meet a couple at their resort and go to a forbidden beach to get drunk and give/get hand-jobs. On their way back, the writer hits and kills a local, punishable by death. Some I Know What You Did Last Summer shit. They cover it up, get caught, and learn that if you have the cash, then the country they are staying will create a duplicate of you and kill that instead while you watch. Shit gets weirder from there. 

Stars Alexander Skarsgård, Mia Goth and Cleopatra Coleman. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, son of the famed Canadian director David Cronenberg. He also directed the films Antiviral and Possessor. Echoes Cronenberg the elder and Harmony Korine at times.

Goth is an immense talent. Where the hell did she come from? Skarsgård is no slouch either. But Goth is a goddamned star. She makes everyone in every movie she’s in seem like an amateur. Her lack of eyebrows is a little weird though.

There is a disgusting ejaculation scene. Can we just not put that in movies? This is not the first time cum has about made me puke while watching popular entertainment recently. Call me a prude, but I can barely deal with my own semen. The scene itself reminded me of Single White Female. Right after this is when he kills a guy and then pays to have himself cloned and have the clone killed in his place. In the end, quite a price to pay for an awkward, unwanted handy. But it's not like he really learns anything other than life is pointless and there are no consequences if you have money. 

Favorite line is “Never marry a broke writer.” Pretty good advice. 

Building a double to execute seems like some shit rich people would be into and not give a shit about. Your clone calling out to your wife for help. No coming back from that, really. That is indeed some shit that will break me. 

Thought the end was going in a completely different direction. That I knew what was happening, but I did not. Last half hour of the movie really just off-the-wall and completely unpredictable. Solid flick. Definitely recommend, especially with it being available to stream on Hulu. 

No comments: