Friday, August 6, 2021

What I Watched: July 2021

Here are the movies/television programs I watched last month. Giving each a one-word review (maybe with some notes), where I watched it, and when it was made. Going to make this a thing...  

Lenny Cooke - 2013 - Criterion Channel - Good - Dude couldn't ball and was an idiot

Confronting a Serial Killer - 2021 - Starz - Great - Focuses on serial killer Sam Little. What a fucking asshole. The journalist, Jillian Lauren, trying to match his victims with unsolved murders is a saint. This guy is fucked and the work she is doing is super noble and hard. She is also incredibly attractive as well as a great storyteller. 

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - 1972 - Criterion Channel - Terrible

Werewolves Within - 2021 - Apple TV - Great - Fun, comedy horror in an isolated town staring the black dude from Detroiters. Love that shit. Based on a video game, apparently

Let Him Go - 2020 - HBO Max - Great - Really liked it but it is a total bummer of a movie

Most Likely to Murder - 2018 - Hulu - Terrible

The Big Lebowski - 1998 - Buskirk Chumley Theater - Terrible - I fucking hate this movie. Went and saw it in the theater which made it worse. Before it started I was in line for my fancy theater wine. I was surrounded by Dudes and Walters. All quoting the movie at me. Maybe like 50 quotes in three minutes. "The tumbling tumbleweeds," a Donny says to me, addressing me. Everyone looks at me. "I actually hate this movie. I think it's dumb. I'm just here with a friend." Made things awkward for everyone, and I know this was a dick move, but you know what? They all shut the fuck up. 

Nightbreed - 1990 - Shudder - Great

Shut Up and Dribble - 2018-20 - Showtime - Good/Great - Love athletes into social justice

Fear Street: 1994 - 2021 - Netflix - Good

Fear Street: 1978 - 2021 - Netflix - Great

Fear Street: 1666 - 2021 - Netflix - Great - Collectively great. Super fun hard MA, YA programs with some good queer content. Shot in the style of movies from the 90s, 70s, and then movies like The VVitch. Loved it

Night Moves - 1975 - Criterion Channel - Great - Love some neonoir. Also Gene Hackman and a young Melanie Griffith

Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage - Great - Limp Bizcuit, Gen X incels, and the Woodstock founders. Fuck those guys

Old - 2021 - AMC - Terrible - One of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I've ever seen

Gunpowder Milkshake - 2021 - Netflix - Good - Bad ladies kicking ass. Not a lot of substance, but what do you want

Tenet - 2020 - Library DVD - Great

No comments: